Friday, April 9, 2010

A Taste of Spring




I feel like the roving foodie reporter!




Coming off of the Wellness Voyage where we were served special menus for a week....returning home inspired to create a few new spring dishes and explore a couple local restaurants' Spring inspirations...then much to my delight, at the PPG Wellness Fair an in-house committee was presenting healthy dishes submitted by employees that would be voted on by a team of judges.




The recipes were available as hand-outs and I am taking the liberty of sharing one with my own adaptations. I had just spotted the first rhubbarb of the season at the East End Food Coop - and the Barley with Strawberries and Lime dish was calling for it! I'm also using more nut milks and a unique 'cream' made with almonds and cashews - that I thought would be a great substitute for the quart of skim milk in the original version ( and have I mentioned lately how keen I am on the vegan Coconut milk products sweaping the healthy super market shelves -- that would be my second suggestion)

Ingredients for Barley with Strawberries, Rhubbarb and Lime ala Sharda


1 lb fresh (organic) strawberies, thinly sliced
3 stalks rhubbarb baked to bring out flavor/just slice and boil til tender
Peel of one lime, finely chopped

Juice of three limes

2 Tbsp honey (I substitute 3 Tablesp Stevia)

1/4 tsp mint extract (or 3 fresh mint leaves)

1 lb box medium barley

1 quart nut cream/coconut milk

Water and remaining liquid from the strawberries to equal eight cups


Directions

1. Combine the strawberries, lime peel, lime juice, sweetener and mint

in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

2. Drain the juice from the strawberry mixture. Reserve the juice.

3. Bring the milk, juice and water to a boil.

4. Add the barley and simmer covered for at least 45 minutes. Continue to

cook until the excess liquid is absorbed.

5. Add the strawberry mixture to the barley and mix.

6. (I suggest cinnamon garnish)

6. Serve warm or cold.


Bon Apetito!

Yours in Wellness, Gratitude, Beauty and food is medicine, food is LOVE,


Suzen Sharda Segall


No comments:

Post a Comment